Welcome to another fun season of 6u Hockey! Hockey Club Fairbanks, its board, coaches and players are excited for another season of fun and player development.
HCF is the only USA Hockey Model Association in Alaska and fully implements the American Development Model (ADM). The ADM is an age appropriate high performance path of development, a nationwide blueprint designed specifically to help kids reach their full potential by giving every kid a great chance to succeed. By implementing USA Hockey’s ADM we will deliver efficient skill development and produce skilled athletes.
We want to provide information so families know what to expect as the season looks to start in a couple weeks.
- Season begins Oct 2nd and runs through Feb 26th
- Athletes get two skates per week. Everyone is at the Dipper on Saturdays, then families select the second skate. The choices are; Sundays at the Dipper, or Tuesdays at Polar. If you have not selected the second skate visit this link (HERE)
- Christmas Break Dec. 19th - Jan. 3rd
- Monthly Game Days for athletes
- Twice a year the 6u Olympics will be hosted
- We will look to introduce a very simple, fun dryland training for athletes as COVID policies allow. This will be after the first month of the season
- SNACK! The most important aspect of 6u hockey. A schedule will be released on when families are responsible to bring snack for after practices
First week (Oct 2 - 8):
- For the first week show up in birth years for the following times:
- Saturday (Dipper)- 2015s @ 9:30-10:15, 2016s @ 10:15-11:00, 2017s @ 11:00-11:45
- Sunday (Dipper)- 2015s @ 11:15-12:00, 2016s and 2017s @ 12:00-12:45
- Tuesday (Polar)- all birth years 5:45-6:30
- Hockey socks will be available at the first practice, but jerseys will be handed out at the second week after rosters are set
- After the first week, players will be placed into age and skill appropriate groups, Red, Black and White. The rosters and schedule will be updated on the HCF website and the SSU Play app (SportsSignUp), available on both Android and Apple devices. Please be aware your times might change between the first and second weeks.
- Please try to be on time, it really helps practices start off effectively
- We need volunteers! The more coaches/managers we have the better the experience will be for the athletes. If you are going to be there anyway, might as well volunteer. No experience required!!!
- Be available during practices, players may need a potty break or something else urgent that coaches cannot assist with
- Refer to HCF Handbook and rink specific COVID policies on HCF Website
- If kids are sick, keep them at home!
- Due to COVID protocols 6u players are required to show up at the rink in full gear (except skates, helmet and gloves) no more than 15 minutes before ice time. Must also depart the rink within 15 minutes in full gear as well.
- Become familiar with the pre/post practice routine. Dressing rooms are available for the kids to finish getting ready. Once they are ready they can wait on the bench (at the Dipper). After practice sessions parents can be waiting in the hallway to help players get gear off/leave the rink.
- Rink rules:
- No parents on the bench
- Keep an eye on siblings
- Game Days and Olympic days will need extra parental support, please step up to help
- Have fun! We strive to make it as positive an experience as possible for the kids
If you have any questions, please reach out to me.
HCF 6u Age Group Coordinator